Charter schools are public elementary and secondary schools similar to regular neighborhood schools. If you are in search of a public charter school for your kid who is having special abilities, you will be in a dilemma as to whether they will accept your application? Charter schools provide superior special education and with schools like Bonneville Academy Charter School in Stansbury Park UT, you will be sure to get the best education for your child.
What are Charter Schools?
There are many charter schools in 43 states and still, people are having dilemmas about their way of operation and which kids they permit. Charter schools are public schools and they must offer their services to eligible children. They are bound to give FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education) which stands as a crucial legal right for kids who are having special abilities. Similar to traditional public schools, charter schools are welcome to all students. But the major difference is that students will have to apply for these schools. They will have limited seats which are filled by draws usually.
Do charter schools have special education?
Parents of children who have special abilities will have confusion about these charter schools permitting their kids. They would be worried about the assistance to their kids in these schools will not be such as in public schools. But according to the norms, a charter school cannot deny from admitting the child with special abilities. They cannot counsel out such kids because of their special abilities. It would be going against the law of they do so.
- There are many numbers of kids with special abilities studying at charter schools. According to the National Centre for Special Education in Charter Schools (NCSECS), there are more than 100 charter schools that have the facilities for special children education. If you are looking to enroll your kid at a charter school, then you must look for information that you will need before you enroll. There are concerned people in each school that work on these services and other dedicated ones for evaluation purposes.
- These duties don’t lie with the charter schools and also with the parents. It relies on the authorities that supervise the specific charter schools. There are some cases, the charter schools district holds the responsibility. Few other schools have a big system of charter schools and ensure that children with these special abilities are never missed on any crucial services.
Learning Environments of Charter Schools:
Attending charter schools can provide very superior advantages to children with special abilities. But you need to carefully look at all the facilities and supportive environment provided by the schools. Some charter schools have different types of operation and you need to find the best for your kid. Below are a few techniques followed by the charter schools:
- Many charter schools have a traditional school setting and few others use online classroom operation. Few others use a mixture of these two types of operations.
- Some charter schools focus on personalized teaching policies for helping students with special abilities to get individual care. They will also have unique programs like STEM that give precise importance to specific interests or programs.
- The schools have supportive school communities to aid the children to get all the required assistance in their learnings.
- In recent years, charter schools are getting decent funding for enhancing their strength and operations. This has resulted in charter schools providing more seats to students with special abilities. Because of all these efforts, charter schools are providing the same quantity of students with special abilities as in traditional public schools.
- Charter schools have greater flexibility and authorization over their special education programs. This allows them to provide a favorable learning environment at good value than in traditional public schools.
Factors to consider while admitting your kid in charter schools:
With all the above things in mind, it is important to know all the crucial factors of your child’s requirements. You will have to ensure that the school will meet all the necessary factors by looking at the below issues:
- What is the teaching model employed by the charter school? Does it follow an individual learning method or a universal learning design?
- What is the teaching philosophy followed by the school and does it match with your kids learning?
- What are the steps taken to improve the special education system and its associated developments?
- Is the school having combined teaching setting?
- Do the teachers provide individual attention when required?
- What are the steps taken by the school to handle behavior issues?
What are the charter school requirements?
When you are about to enroll your kid in a charter school, you must be knowing about their requirements.
- Some of the schools will require the application form you while some others may wait until the selection process for the admission is over. Few others do not worry much about these things and have the option of submitting the information at any time. As some of the parents may feel uncomfortable having the question on the application, they allow them to skip it.
- You must give all the information related to your child’s special abilities so that it gives ample time for the school to be prepared. It will also help them to provide accurate care and learning according to your child’s specific needs.
- Charter schools have the rules to give report cards for the parent. Hence, they will need to have all the information regarding your kids before you enroll them.
Many charter schools use innovative teaching practices that can be great for your child. But finding the right school is always key. Learn more about what to look for when choosing a school for your child. Bonneville Academy Charter School in Stansbury Park UT have a curriculum that focuses on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math, letting students to not only learn about the advancements in those areas but also have real-world experiences for kids with special abilities.
Bonneville Academy is a K-8 STEM school in Stansbury Park, Utah. Bonneville Academy will foster critical thinking and problem solving skills in a challenging, student-centered environment; by encouraging exploration in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). Preparing students for success in our ever changing dynamic world.